A five-year-old boy is being hailed as a hero after ensuring his family of nine evacuated the house after waking up to flames near his bed on Sunday morning.
“I picked Lily up, went to the window with Lily, got the dog, and got out,” Noah Woods, 5, explained to WSBTV. “That’s all there is to it.”
He, on the other hand, went above and beyond. Scroll down to learn more.
On Sunday morning, an electrical fire broke out in the room Noah and his 2-year-old sister Lily shared. As soon as he realized there was danger, he grabbed his sister and the family dog and rushed to the window.
According to a GoFundMe page set up to help the family with costs, Noah, Lily, and their dog allegedly broke out of the house through the window. After they had reached safety, Noah returned to his uncle’s house to continue assisting everyone else in evacuating.
“Our hero!” declared the Bartow County Fire Department on Tuesday.
“Nathan Woods, 5, recently awoke to find his bedroom on fire.” The only way out was through a window. He escaped the fire with his 2-year-old sister through the window and returned to the house to inform the rest of the family.
Fortunately, all nine family members escaped the house unscathed, with the exception of a minor burn on Noah’s wrist.
“Noah and four other members of his family were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation… On Friday, Chief Dwayne Jamison of the Bartow County Fire Department will recognize him as an Honorary Bartow County Firefighter and present him with a Lifesaving Award.”
“If it wasn’t for Noah, I mean, we were all asleep, so we wouldn’t have known what was going on,” Noah’s grandfather, David Woods, said. “We could’ve all lost our lives.”
The family must now rebuild because their home was entirely destroyed, but they will have the support of the entire family as they do so.
“If it wasn’t for Noah, we may not be here today,” David wrote.
Noah, you are a hero. You saved your family’s lives. I have no doubt that your community will rally behind you as you rebuild. Please consider sharing this great story on Facebook to recognize this brilliant 5-year-old and his excellent instinct!