News

The possible risks of Himalayan salt lamps to your pets

A Facebook user called Maddie Smith from New Zealand told the tale of her adorable cat Ruby, who kissed a Himalayan salt lamp and became poisoned. This woman is attempting to alert other cat owners to the risks associated with these lamps and advises them to keep them out of their pets’ reach.

She began by describing how, that Wednesday morning, Ruby was walking strangely. They assumed it was only because the child was chilly and they warmed her up before heading out to work.

Sadly, they discovered the cat’s condition had gotten much worse after returning home, so they brought her to the veterinarian.
The cat owner stated, “The veterinarians were very concerned for her and could see she had neurological problems because she could not walk properly, hear or see, or even eat or drink properly because of her poor tongue function.”

Within 12 hours, her fundamental perceptions and skills vanished. She was completely defenseless.

Both Ruby’s owners and the physicians were taken aback by the test findings. The cat’s brain swelled due to acute salt overdose, according to the diagnosis.

“Our lounge’s standard salt lamp was the source of the salt poisoning. Ruby only needed to lick the light to consume the salt.

They all claim that Ruby’s survival is astounding because animals can die from salt toxicity. The problem is that the taste of these bulbs is so good that the animals are unable to stop licking them once they start.

Veterinary professionals and medical specialists further state that these lights are only “deadly” to animals if they lick them excessively and absorb excessive amounts of the mineral; otherwise, they pose no threat.

About 42 milligrams of salt is the daily maximum that cats are permitted to consume. Poisoning can result from anything beyond this threshold.

Therefore, be sure your pet cannot access the Himalayan salt lamp if you do decide to get one.

Please use Facebook to SHARE this post with your loved ones.

Leave a Comment